Safe Routes to School is a movement focused on enabling children to use active forms of transportation, using a wide range of strategies: education, encouragement, engineering, and enforcement. In 2007, the Iowa Bicycle Coalition was hired to manage the Iowa Department of Transportation’s Safe Routes to School encouragement and education program, whose main focus has been traffic safety education and the encouragement of active transportation.
The Director of the Safe Routes to School program will market the program to public and private school administration state-wide; manage content and dissemination of all program publications and website; evaluate the School Safety program and recommend improvements on an on-going basis. The Safe Routes Director will also oversee the design and implementation of additional comprehensive Safe Routes campaigns.
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP & WORK ENVIRONMENT
The Program Director will generally work 40 hours/week, Monday through Friday, during business hours. The Program Director will be located at the Iowa Bicycle Coalition offices, working off-site and on evenings and weekends as needed. The Program Coordinator will report to the Iowa Bicycle Coalition Executive Director.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
* Act as liaison to Iowa private and public school administrators for delivery of bicycling and pedestrian safety education.
* Market presentations to administration and schools, as needed.
* Review and revise existing in-class presentation material as needed.
* Review and revise on-foot traffic safety workshops.
* Deliver bicycling and pedestrian safety information and active living messages to students at public and private schools, as needed.
* Extend safe routes education and encouragement programs.
* Create/update/print school safety publications as necessary.
* Identify distribution points and manage distribution of school safety publications.
* Revise, maintain, and develop new written and on-line teacher resources.
* Maintain program budgets and report on progress.
* Evaluate past and current school safety education programs and recommend improvements.
* Respond to safety and traffic-related requests from schools.
$35,000 – $40,000
August 17, 2012
Please send resume and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject SAFE ROUTES DIRECTOR.